Monday, April 1, 2019

Horse hunting April fools

After losing my princess pony, I knew another one would soon come along. I looked at a Lot of horses. I mean, seriously, a LOT! So many in fact that they all started to blur the lines and it got a little confusing at times which phone number went with what ad.

There was the thin mare who looked like she was either wormy as hell, pregnant or both. Her story was that she's hard to catch (to read: damn near impossible) & they tried to pen her up with panels but she jumped those.



But wait a minute....   Isn't she standing in front of fence panels? Yes. Yes she is. I was going to drive out and look at this horse but the plans kept getting side tracked or delayed for one reason or another.  When I contacted them about coming out the next weekend- they replied asking if I was coming to buy firewood? Um, no. Pass.

I had also looked at this mare, She's 9 y/o well bred, greenbroke and had just weaned a foal. I was ready to send payment now and figure out how to get her home later.

The seller wanted cash only and that was that. They also said they had a lot of tire kickers. Then they text me a week later to see if I still want her. Yes I do but I can't just drop everything and wouldn't be able to get up their way for a week or so. I'm willing to pay for her now and sort out hauling, but again they wouldn't budge. Pass.  Then there's a 7 y/o gelding. Not broke, a little on the thin side but easy to catch and they just wanted him gone. He looked nice enough and the price was fair so why not go look? When I asked when would be a good time to come see him- They never responded. Okay then, I will keep looking. Pass.Then there was a bay colt standing next to a fence. The ad claims he is 15 hands, approximately 3, grade but they think he could be standardbred and he may grow to 16 hands. Judging by the height of the fence panel next to the horse- there's no way he's that tall. When I spoke to the woman I got quite the story. He's cryptorchid and she's selling him because she needs rent money, but if I wait a couple days until the weekend, she has 2 more horses coming in. She also had another horse for sale...A 4y/o mustang mare that in her words, has gorgous dressage movement.  Okay that sounds reasonable, but the asking price was not. It was more than I am willing to pay for an unbroke, unpapered horse of questionable abilities. Then I find an ad for this mare- same contact name and phone number- for lease. $150 a month, she will feed the horse and you need to ride her at least twice a week and take a lesson from her once a week on this mare.  I have no idea what happend with this one or the gelding. Time to go look and she stopped all contact.  Pass & Pass. There was two black horses-that fell thru.  Pass. Pass. A black and white half Arabian mare- 500 miles away. She's at a rescue, halter broke and that's about it. At least she's pretty healthy looking. Pass. A grey pony with lovely movement, but a bit edgy. I actually found this one for a friend and now she just wants her gone. The price is right, but apparently this pony has been abused and is pretty unpredictable. My trainer friend having dealt with horses like her, may be able to bring her around, but I'm not looking for a v.e.r.y. long term project horse at the moment.  Pass.The grey gelding fresh off the track with a hefty price tag that was Super quiet, which turned out later as not exactly quiet. Pass. So I'll just keep looking for now. Maybe something will catch my attention and the seller won't be such a whack job. 

No comments:

Post a Comment