Monday, September 21, 2020

Drive #9

The other night I drove Mazy again. As we were going around and around, I started asking for smaller circles, tighter turns, more lengthening in the trot and more serpentines for straightness and response from her instead of her trying to anticipate anything. 

What we didn't work on was any of our collected gaits. Gotta say this. Girlfriend seems to enjoy driving far more than being ridden. Maybe it's just the fact I'm not on her back trying to make sure all of My body parts are where they need to be, cues subtle and correct with perfect timing.... Easier said than done. *sigh*

As we were finishing up, one of the other boarders showed up to feed.  Talking to him later when I explained that Mazy has only been driven a handful of times he said, "I never would have guessed. She looked really good out there."

As we were finishing up, Mazy was moving along in a very bold and forward working trot. A gait she probably could have done for miles with ease. What happened next was beyond awesome. When I gave the cue the stop was coming next, Mazy dropped her rear end like a reining horse going into a slide, her body folded up like an accordian and by the time I said 'whoa' she had planted all four feet squarely on the ground. It was definitely something I'll never forget. I heaped on the praise as I reached forward to scratch her on her gorgeous butt. 

That was a good place to stop working so I asked her to walk around a little and brought it back to our spot where I put to and unhitch. She stood like a rockstar as she does and never flinched until I had removed the cart, harness and finally removed her bridle. She deserved her time in turnout after that. Proud pony momma moment! 

2 comments:

  1. Katman here- You're well on your way to becoming a driving pony. Congrats and I look forward to traveling and showing alongside you.

    ReplyDelete