Tuesday, July 27, 2021

AMazying

A few updates. 

We went for a lesson with the trainer we found online. Mazy hauled like a champ, settled right in and 'owned the place' in her mind. We worked at the walk and trot, re-established the idea that half halts actually mean something and we found our actual Working Trot that OMG has rhythm and cadence, rather than the flustercluck mess we had been calling that gait. We worked with contact and while I didn't pick at her, in return she didn't gnash her teeth every stride in frustration. I didn't hang on her and turn it into a tug of war, but I also didn't keep dropping the reins and expecting her to maintain self control, balance and speed without racing off when I applied leg to push her over and use our corners.

We still have things to work on but the trainer was super impressed with how quiet Mazy was in a new environment and when given a chance to relax and walk, rather than give the jump standards and poles in the shape of a box a hairy eyeball, no Mazy walked right over to it, passed straight thru the standards, stepped into the box and stopped.  She clearly wanted to jump. Lol 

Since then there has been rain. A lot of damned rain. Almost every day the sky opens up and soaked the shit out of everything. The arena has been too sloppy to ride in or even ground drive either for that matter so Mazy has been getting turned out a lot. 

Her shoulder has healed up nicely. There may be a small scar left where there was once a hole the size of a silver dollar that the vet stuck his fingers all the way inside (yuck!), but her movement has not suffered and she will compete again someday.... 

Last night I figured - Why not drive her? Mazy seems to enjoy it, we can work on our half-halts and Working Trot, and its all good. So I drug the cart out, put the seat on it, whip in the holder, put it in the arena and harnessed up. 

Pic is actually from after our drive- hence the reins not attached.

I'm not sure how long it has been since our last drive, but it was sometime last year. That was at least 7-8 months ago, if not more. I just went back and looked, it was the end of September and I posted about it the beginning of October. So almost a year since drive #13 and she stood like a statue while I put her to, climbed on the cart and got situated. 

I got a couple few pics from the drivers seat as we walked around the arena warming up. 


Going both directions is always good. We worked on our trot and maintaining a nice steady rhythm that didn't so much include speed. Circles, turns and serpentines, stopping, backing, walking forward, up and down transitions between halt, walk and trot and let me say she executed everything so effortlessly. She was listening and tuned in to everything I asked of her. I would like to say she performed flawlessly, but there are always things to work on and improve, tweak this, adjust that. Always.

Of course afterwards she stood perfectly still while I unhooked everything and got her free of the cart. Then she posed in the barn aisle while I snapped a couple more pics before removing the bridle and getting her a heaping handfull of well deserved treats a lot of generous pats, Good Girl and other words of praise for a job well done. 

I'm looking forward to another drive while the weather holds out, albeit a little warm for my liking.  I know- give it a few months and everyone will be complaining its too cold. Lol 

2 comments:

  1. That is impressive about the haul out to a lesson and the drive after several months of not being hooked up. What a good pony!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's really getting the hang of things. Well done!

    ReplyDelete