Monday, June 27, 2022

What to do?

I got a text message from another trainer a couple weeks back.... Are you still interested in selling your mare? I have a client looking for a ride & drive horse. So we have been texting back and forth and she requested video.  

Since I have needed to get Casey going in harness, I dragged the cart out to the barn. Two birds, one stone and all that. The cart is easier to manage and I can leave it at the barn out by the arena where it is easily accessible and the weather won't bother it.

So Saturday night I brought out the harness also and figured- Let's DO This! 


Drag out Mazy and dust her off....


Harnessed up, get her boots on....


Let her pack all of our gear out to the arena, 

Yes long lines included.

Both directions

Before putting her to the cart I tried turning on the arena lights, which decided not to work for whatever reason. 

Of course she stayed put, but gave me a disapproving look of Why aren't we Doing this yet????

So before we lose any more daylight.... 

For not being driven 6 months, less than 20 drives total so far and I can just dust her off and go? Yeah she's quite the pony. 

While she did really good, she was not exactly thrilled. The footing in the arena is hard packed, two opposite corners are deeply rutted and not good for riding or driving and the arena is a bit small. Being pressed for time & light, I couldn't really open her up and put her to work like we normally would do- working trot, lengthened or extended trot, slow trot or jog, working and lengthened walk, all the gaits in both directions.... Circles, serpentines, up & down transitions, halts, back up a few steps. I am hoping to debut her at Prelim. Kick the door down and let everyone know We're Here! kind or thing, because that's how she rolls.

Do I want to sell her? I'm on the fence about it. Does the trainers client have the budget for her? Well it's about 1/3 to 1/2 her price short. And out of curiosity I asked the trainer the other day- what are they planning to do with their new horse? Trail riding and lower level CDE's. 

To be honest- I have my reservations. If I sell, of course I want it to be a good fit for both the buyer and more importantly- my pony. Do I think she is well suited for lower level competition? Not really. Her mentality is that of a Type A, Overachiever and Perfectionist. She is full of Try and usually gives me 5,000% effort All the time, when 50-75% would do fine on any given day. Opinionated mare much? Yes. Yes she is. Lol 

3 comments:

  1. What a nice pony! A hard decision to make but I'm sure you'll do your due diligence and make the right choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. she is so nice, I would sure be tempted to wait for just the right fit for her. That said, a talented horse can go anywhere

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies! She is a very nice Pony and for that reason I'm hesitant to let her go. I drove her again tonight after not doing anything with her all week, hitched her and off we went. The footing was not all that good, but yet she still managed work and do her best. The cart was literally covered with mud by the time we were done. Fun times!

    ReplyDelete