Monday, July 11, 2022

Drive #4

I drove Casey for a bit before I started videoing. This was to make sure she's listening, relaxed as well as confident with herself, her training and working like she should. Why start recording if things aren't going well and something needs to be fixed? If something needs fixing, jump on it now and then move on.  

How about that Stop at the end? I opened my mouth and said something so she slammed on the brakes. She also dropped her rear end and sorta went into a slide which is why at first I thought she may make a cute little western pony and we could try some reining. 

Slides are not encouraged in driving. Neither are abrupt stops like that in any event.  Right now though? Stops are highly preferred over the alternatives- horses running away or blowing up losing their shit. 

The stops are an easy enough fix. Hit the music app on my phone, tuck it in my pocket/clothes and start driving. This gives the horse things to consider- there will be noise and they need to sort out our voice/cues and Listen. There will be noise and they need to not let outside stuff distract them. The music often has a tempo or beat they can jam to and work with. Singing helps us maintain our breathing, keeping us relaxed. So it looks like Casey and I need to get our jam on. 


No comments:

Post a Comment