Saturday, September 17, 2022

Setbacks suck

I finally got a pasture at the barn for the girls. The one boarder has 7 horses and was struggling to find (and afford) hay. Her horses were taking up 2 of the smaller pastures and the barn owner had her kick them all out into a larger pasture with a few other boarders horses. This pasture is probably a few acres so plenty of room and grass. 

When she showed up to bring them all back in, she was a bit put off that my girls were in the one pasture. She asked me why I don't put my ponies out in the big pasture with the other horses? Um because 1) I feel that my ponies are worth likely more than all of the horses out there combined and 2) I don't need those vet bills..... Mazy doesn't always play well with others. She is known to corner and kick the holy shit out of other horses no matter their size. She's done it before and I've caught her in the act. 

So the girls were going out at night and coming in for the day because Casey has a lot of pink skin and I would rather not deal with sunburns. She had come to me with rain rot all over and we got past that, so let's not revisit tender skin. Am I right? 

Sunday night about 10pm I get a phone call from another lady at the barn. Mazy cornered Casey and beat her up. Her husband and daughter seen it happen and he "has never seen a horse kick that many times, that fast. I didn't know they could Do that."  Apparently Mazy went off rapid fire and nailed Casey about 20 times in nothing flat. 

There were plenty of expletives said under my breath about Mazy being such a ______ ______ _______ f_____ b_____!!!!  They were able to catch Casey pretty easily as she ran to them for help. Once she was out of the corner she took off and Mazy was right on her tail trying to run her down. As Casey came to the gate where they were standing (minds blown by what they seen), Mazy backed off and went about her business of grazing. 

When I got to the barn.... Casey was upset about being separated. She has become a bit herdbound with Mazy. But there were a lot of places all over her left hip and flank, croup, and a couple other spots with missing skin and hair. Likely a lot of bruising underneath the dark hair that didn't show. 


This is her hip and flank after spraying everything with Vetricyn. 


No idea if this was bites or if Mazy got her feet this high up?


More of the left hip and yes the 'bubble' in the white hair sorta in the middle- is a tear in the muscle. She came with that and it causes no issue. 


Somehow Mazy even managed to tear up some hair and shin on Casey's chest. Not sure if Casey did this on the water tub, fence or ??? trying to get out of the way, but its there. 

She had already tore up her left front across the heal and coronet band, destroying the bell boot in the process. Thankfully again it is all just superficial wounds missing hair and skin. 


This is on the outside of the front hoof. This is Why she wears bell boots 90% of the time and Always when I'm working her. 

Yesterday I was able to drive her again for the first time since all of the drama- cart is repaired, skin has scabbed over and healing, life is back on track. More on that later.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. That is something else. Glad she is on the mend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor thing took a beating. One thing I would change about Mazy if I could.

    ReplyDelete