Friday, October 21, 2022

Climbing ranks

While I wait to get a Pivo, I found a way to improvise and still manage to get video of the girls as they are working. Is it ideal? No. Does it work? Sure. Sort of.  I found a small cell phone tripod at the $1 store. The 3 legs are bendy so you can wrap them around say a fence rail? Yeah that works. Put it on the rail, set the phone up and attach it, then just hit record video on the phone and go to work. 

I usually get 20-30 minutes of video, but it takes me about 2 hours to go thru it and dissect it for pics.  While it only records in a certain section of the arena, there's dead space when you're out of view. But when you are in view, you can pause it, zoom in, frame by frame and screenshot what you like. Sometimes it takes me a few times going over one pass because I can see a frame I like, but getting it paused at just the right spot can be tricky. 


Casey looks incredibly downhill in all of these going to the left because of the camera angle being a tad jacked.  If you compare her topline to the fenceline behind her though you can see she's pretty balanced out or even uphill in her movement. 


And look at that reach. Girlfriend has some hang time. Lol 


Yes we share the arena with can chasers. In the video she actually hits one of the barrels. That was fun! But she didnt knock it over, no penalty points (lol) and we went on with our workout. 


She felt good and decided to lope. What did I do? I encouraged her of course! At some point she will be a Prelim or better pony and we Will be running on course so she may as well learn it's okay now. 


Only she was crow hopping. Every. Stride. Her ass end was in the air but the front end not so much. This one looks huge though. 


I only slowed her to a trot after a few strides because I don't want her keeping any bad habits for later on. I have to admit it was funny though. 


Hind legs together in this stride because it is after landing another crowhop. Otherwise she has a Lot of reach going on. 


Yeah she just doesn't so much look like a peanut roller western horse does she. 


And this. This is Why she is a "Bell Boots For Life!" horse. You would not believe how light in the bridle she is too. Just squeeze your fingers shut and we're turning.... 


A friend of mine that's also a trainer was surprised at the overreaching going on, but Casey has managed to adapt. She actually tracs a bit off to the side so there's little to no interference with front and hind hooves. 

She's def on her way to being a Rockstar!  I'm so excited for her. I doubt Casey had any idea what she was in for when I got her, but she is stepping up her game in Spades! 

And when we finish our work in the arena? I drive her out the gate and thru the yard, crossing ditches pipe culverts, mud puddles, past the picnic table with the umbrella opened up and whatever other crap I can find to get her used to everything before parking her in front of the barn to unhitch. So far she approaches everything with Zero (0) shits given! Drive #16 is in the books. 

No comments:

Post a Comment